The APTA has a committee called “Community Connections”
We realized that many don’t know what those involved do…and it is pretty great stuff!
Chairs Catherine Werner and Nancy-Lynne Walters work with school sponsor Ms. Rachel Minor to guide the Middle School Helping Hands community service club. The mission of the club is to contribute to our Louisville community. Their approach is to strike a balance in their project selection to expose students to the different ways to volunteer (e.g., time, talent, and treasure).
It’s been a fun and rewarding endeavor for the parent & teacher volunteers as well as the students.
For each of these organizations they engage in a three-part learning process:
- A guest speaker from the organization joins the group for its monthly “Helping Hands” Community Service Club meeting in Ms. Minor’s Room.
- They go on a field trip to the organization to learn first-hand about the services and benefits that each organization provides in our community.
- They plan and do a project to support the organization.
Annually, Anchorage middle school student volunteers contribute close to 400 hours of community service through the “Helping Hands” club.
Club participants also developed the club mission, name, and logo.
Parent Academy presents Part 2 of Raising Kids in a Digital Age – Nothing but the Apps!
- WHEN:Tuesday, March 21, 7:00 pm
- WHERE: School Auditorium
Don’t worry if you couldn’t attend session 1, each session is a stand alone talk! Mark your calendar now – you DON’T want to miss this! Learn tips & advice, trends & misconceptions, as well as how to leverage apps to make parenting easier!
Feedback from parents that attended session 1 include:
“The social media “contract” was extremely beneficial!”
“I can’t wait to go home and look at the resources list that was given!”
“I am so glad I came! I thought maybe my kids were too young for this to pertain to me, but I was wrong! I learned it’s never too early to start!”
We hope you will be able to join us for this Parent Academy event!
RSVP to Andrea Donan at email@example.com
Our Outdoor Classroom “Auction Ask” was just revealed yesterday and already our amazing community is coming together to help raise funds to make it a reality!
First: An anonymous donor has come forward and will match the first two $5,000 donations to the outdoor classroom!
Second: Our amazing friends at Lakshmi Farms have come forward to provide incentives at the $5,000, $2,500, and $1,000 donation levels.
- $5,000 DONATION LEVEL: ALL donors at this level receive a Grade-Level Field Trip to Lakshmi Farms during school hours. Students will have the opportunity to experience sustainability on an amazing level. Think sheering to spinning to knitting all in one setting. Buses and snacks courtesy of Lakshmi Farms.
- $2,500 DONATION LEVEL: Donors at this level receive the opportunity to participate in one of two Family Camp-outs at Lakshmi Farms. When the weather is perfect this spring or fall, come make memories with your family on the farm – pitch your tent, enjoy pizza, watch a movie under the stars on the barn wall, make s’mores over an open campfire, and enjoy a farm-fresh breakfast the next morning before heading home.
- $1,000 DONATION LEVEL: Donors at this level receive private access to Lakshmi Farm for a family photo session. Bring a picnic lunch and your favorite photographer for the shoot of a lifetime. Cuddle the chickens, ducks & lambs, kiss the ponies, frolic in the poppy fields, pose with the 1952 Ford truck, whatever you can dream up in this idyllic setting.
Why Lakshmi Farms getting involved? “We envision providing an Outdoor Classroom where hands on learning is cultivated and cultured in us all, from children to faculty and parents who volunteer. We want sustainability to be at the core of this space. We propose rain barrels, a composting station, native to pollinator gardens, a weather station, a dry stream and more to encourage children to investigate, inquire and explore their curiosities. We want to build with you all… for our children.”
Lakshmi Farms is a proud part of the Anchorage community. Learn more about the farm and their commitment to building healthy ecologies, economies, and communities on their website.
Anchorage is a one of a kind community and we are so thankful for community sponsors, partners, and supporters of Anchorage School and the APTA.